Chris joined Travers Smith in 1983 and was made a partner in 1987. Chris became the firm's Senior Partner on 1 July 2013 having been Head of Corporate since 2003. He founded the firm's Private Equity Group, one of the constituent parts of Corporate, in 1996.
Chris specialises in UK and international M&A and buy-out work. He acts for institutional investors and management teams on investments and divestments, as well as private equity-backed and large private companies on M&A and other corporate matters.
Recent deals on which he has worked include advising:
- The sale of Argus Media to a company backed by funds managed by General Atlantic
- The sale of LGC to a company backed by funds managed by KKR
- The sale of Center Parcs to a company backed by funds managed by Brookfield Property Partners
- The sale of British Car Auctions to Haversham Holdings
- The part sale of RAC to funds managed by CVC
- 3i Group plc on its investment in Aspen Pumps
- The sale of CPA Global to a company backed by funds managed by Cinven Partners
Chris is a regular contributor to various legal journals and lectures, notably at Oxford University, on company and private equity related subjects. Finance in Europe rates Chris as an M&A expert and Chambers Global and The Legal 500 list Chris as among the world's leading lawyers in private equity. Chris is rated as one of the UK's top business lawyers by The Chambers 100.