CompetitionMonday, 31 August 2015
Our Competition department provides pragmatic advice and effective representation on all aspects of EU and UK competition law.
We have recognised expertise in advising on the competition and regulatory implications of mergers and acquisitions, as well as the full range of behavioural competition matters (abuse of dominance, cartels and other restrictive agreements). We are experienced in competition litigation before the English courts. We also advise on utilities regulation and other EU law matters, such as state aid and public procurement.
In addition to advising clients on EU and UK competition law, we regularly co-ordinate the provision of merger control and behavioural competition advice to clients in respect of other key jurisdictions around the world in conjunction with carefully selected leading overseas law firms.
"Travers Smith LLP gives 'responsive and commercially savvy' advice. The firm has a strong reputation in merger control, and a solid following for behavioural work."
The Legal 500
Knowledge of the relevant competition legislation and case law is important, but so too is an awareness of our clients´ commercial objectives and a familiarity with the approach of the various regulators. We provide pragmatic and constructive advice based on a proper assessment of legal risk against the achievement of our clients´ commercial objectives. We maintain strong relationships with the various EU and UK regulators and are able to advise on what is and what is not achievable in practice with each regulator.
Our recent work includes acting for:
- Exponent Private Equity on the merger control aspects of its acquisition of BBC Magazines (now Immediate Media Limited) and combination with existing Exponent portfolio company, Magicalia (UK).
- A global investment bank on two European Commission investigations into alleged
anti-competitive practices (EU).
- Gala Coral Group on a number of merger control and other competition related matters (EU/UK).
- A multi-national industrial company on follow-on damages claims arising from a number of European Commission cartel decisions (UK).
- A European manufacturer in respect of a follow-on damages claim arising from a European Commission cartel decision (UK).
- Pinewood Shepperton plc on the merger control aspects of its acquisition by Peel Acquisitions (Holdings) Limited (UK).
- Headland Foods and Chamonix Private Equity on the Competition Commission"s investigation into the completed acquisition by Kerry Foods of Headland"s frozen ready meals business (UK).
- A leading player in the payments sector on a series of complaints to competition authorities worldwide in respect of alleged abuse of dominance by one of the major players in the industry (multi-jurisdictional).
- The newsagent chain Martin McColl Retail Group, in respect of the OFT investigation into pricing practices in the tobacco sector (UK).
- Carpetright plc on a series of store acquisitions from the current and former owners of Allied Carpets (UK).
- A consortium of leading banks on the merger control aspects of the merger of the Turquoise trading platform with the Baikal trading platform of the LSE (UK).
- Peel Group and Peel Ports on a number of merger control and other competition related matters (EU/UK).