Employee IncentivesSunday, 2 August 2015
The delivery of tax-efficient and commercial employee incentives is often key to the future success of a company.
Mahesh Varia leads the Employee Incentives Group which specialises in advising our clients on the design, implementation and operation of incentive arrangements.
The group is a leader in the design of bespoke incentives as well as UK tax advantaged plans. Not only are we able to advise clients on the tax structuring of incentive arrangements, we can also assist with the related company law, employment law, regulatory, corporate governance and trust law issues.
The success of incentive plans is due as much to how they are communicated to participants as to their structuring. Preparing employee-friendly documentation is second nature to us as is guiding our clients through the communication process. We have a wealth of experience in working with clients through every stage of implementing an incentive plan and the ongoing operation of the arrangement.
Our clients include companies (whether UK, international, listed, private equity backed or owner managed), hedge funds, executives, non-executives and trustees of employee trusts. We advise on the design, implementation and day to day operation of a wide variety of arrangements, from UK enterprise management incentive option plans to international share offers and long term incentive plans to cash and deferred bonus arrangements.
We also have considerable experience in advising on the employee incentive aspects of corporate transactions such as management buy-outs, stock market flotations and takeovers.
Described by the Legal 500 UK as an 'excellent and very knowledgeable team', the group is led by Mahesh Varia who has a 'breadth of experience in devising employee benefit schemes that work' and is also recommended.
Our recent advisory work for clients includes:
- advising on the design and implementation of a tax advantaged share incentive plan (SIP) for a UK listed company with over 10,000 employees in the UK
- advising on the design and implementation of an international share offer for a private company with over 3,000 employees globally
- advising public companies on their compliance with corporate governance and investor guidelines, as well as on the rules relating to executive remuneration and policy
- advising overseas trustees on settlement negotiations and arrangements with UK HMRC
Our recent transactional work for clients includes:
- advising on the design and implementation of new share incentive arrangements on and following a number of high-profile IPOs
- advising on the executive and employee share plan implications of the sale of private equity backed groups