Financial Services & MarketsMonday, 30 November 2015
Our people are not just regulatory lawyers.
They are financial services experts who apply a wide range of legal principles to resolve highly complex (and sometimes seemingly baffling) problems, while delivering clear, practical advice in a user-friendly way across a broad range of financial sectors - wholesale and retail, domestic and international.
We have a close understanding of how regulators think - although we do not always agree with them. Our work and our representation on trade associations gives us a detailed knowledge of the workings of the financial markets, enabling us to bring greater insight to the transactions on which we advise. Our lawyers have earned a reputation for innovation and quality, advising on the latest changes in this fast-moving marketplace.
Just some of the areas we specialise in include: a broad range of domestic and pan-European regulatory and compliance issues, including the impact of the regulatory regime on corporate finance, venture capital and private equity businesses; securities trading, clearance and settlement matters; new payment products and services, including e-cash; investment management and global custody services; wholesale and retail financial product development; the structuring, establishment and promotion of investment fund vehicles; market conduct issues; regulatory capital requirements; and discipline and enforcement issues.
"This practice is especially rated for its regulatory expertise..."
We have acted as the principal legal adviser on all of the major securities infrastructure projects over the last decade. Our recent work includes advising:
- Metro Bank PLC, the first retail bank to be established in the UK for over 100 years, on its authorisation and contractual framework
- on complex market conduct issues (including advising firms and individuals under investigation)
- on the impact of EU legislation applicable to financial services firms, including the Alternative Investment Fund Managers Directive (AIFMD), the latest Capital Requirements Directive and the Capital Requirements Regulation (CRD IV), the European Market Infrastructure Regulation (EMIR) and the recast Markets in Financial Instruments Directive (MiFID II)
- the Lehman administrators on LBIE´s US$2.5 billion settlement with a leading global custodian
- as sole regulatory counsel, CREST and CHAPS Co. the two largest UK payment systems
- UK Payments Administration, the service body for the UK payments industry, on regulatory and other issues affecting all of the UK payment schemes
- on the regulatory capital aspects of mergers between financial institutions and the regulatory capital treatment of investments
- hedge fund and private equity fund managers on a wide range of regulatory issues, including the Alternative Investment Fund Managers Directive
- a global provider of broking and other financial services on the launch of its electronic trading platforms
- on the development and regulation of market infrastructure, including trading platforms and securities settlement systems
- UK and other European cash and derivatives markets on the introduction of central counterparty, competitive clearing and netting services
- on the payments law aspects of Western Union US$1 billion acquisition of the Travelex Global Business Payments unit
- the trustees of a £1 billion UK occupational pension scheme on a revised liability-driven-investment programme
- financial sector clients on anti-bribery and corruption policies