We have extensive experience in handling a wide range of pensions disputes supported by the technical expertise of our non-contentious pensions team.
We have a long history of involvement in high profile pensions disputes going back to the ten years of litigation where Travers Smith acted for the Mirror Group Pension Trustees in their litigation campaign to recover assets misappropriated by the late Robert Maxwell. The team continues to be instructed on a broad range of big-ticket cases. We offer clients a full service covering all aspects of pensions-related disputes, ranging from claims relating to the proper interpretation of pension scheme documentation and the power of trustees, to claims for rectification, breach of fiduciary duty, professional negligence and insurance coverage.
“both sensible and sound, ... [t]hey easily integrate technical pensions knowledge with litigation expertise and function well as a team."
Chambers UK 2013
“Senior Counsel Mark Hall is noted for his involvement in a number of significant pensions cases. One commentator says: 'He's a very thorough and sensible litigator'."
Chambers UK 2014
Recent matters include:
- acting for the trustees of the Lehman Brothers' Pension Scheme in connection with a high profile case, which went to the Supreme Court, arising out of a set of financial support directions made by the Determinations Panel against a number of Lehman companies
- acting for Stena Line Limited in a dispute relating to an industry-wide pensions scheme, the Merchant Navy Ratings Pension Fund, as to whether the trustees can amend the scheme rules so as to permit them to seek contributions from former employers to meet the Fund's deficit
- advising the trustees of the ITN pension scheme in High Court proceedings in connection with the proper interpretation of rules in the scheme documentation dealing with spouses' pensions
- advising the trustees of a major corporate pension fund in connection with claims for breach of contract and misrepresentation against a fund manager arising from an investment of pension fund assets
- advising the trustee of a pension plan in relation to the merits or otherwise of an application for rectification arising out of an apparent mistake in the Scheme rules relating to early retirement
- acting for the Northern Ireland Local Government Officers' Superannuation Committee in relation to a dispute with United Dairy Farmers, the Department of the Environment of Northern Ireland and the Department of Agriculture and Rural Development concerning the Northern Ireland local government pension scheme, which NILGOSC has statutory responsibility to administer
- acting for the trustees of a pension fund in a dispute with the fund's administrators regarding their failure to execute the transfer of a large number of employee AVC benefits held in bulk policies as part of the winding-up of the scheme