Private equity is a cornerstone of Travers Smith's business. We are the largest transactional team of private equity lawyers in the City. Our market leading practice has been helping clients to implement innovative strategies and structures for over 20 years, and we continue to be involved in many challenging and ground-breaking deals.
We cover all types of private equity transactions; growth capital, buy-outs, public-to-privates, portfolio management, recapitalisations and exits by sale to trade/financial buyers or by IPO, and recapitalisations. We are also highly regarded for acting for management teams. Our expertise now reaches far beyond investment work, drawing on the skills of all of our specialist practice areas, especially tax and finance.
The group has had a phenomenal run, picking up awards from Real Deals, the BVCA, the EVCA and the EVCJ. We are working on more deals than most, if not all, of our competitors and we remain at the forefront of the primary market (deals between £50 - £500 million).
In addition, we have a dedicated Investment Funds group that focus on the establishment of private equity funds and the participation in funds by investors. Please click here for more details.
"We were delighted with the role Travers Smith played on the recent sale of CPA Global to Cinven. We ran a very tight process and the commercial and diligent approach from the team and smooth interaction with all stakeholders was crucial to a successful completion."
Matthew Robinson, Director, Intermediate Capital Group plc
Recent examples of our work include advising:
- CPA Global on its sale to European private equity firm Cinven for an undisclosed consideration from its current shareholders, including Intermediate Capital Group and the founder shareholders
- Exponent Private Equity on the acquisition of a portfolio of BBC magazine titles including Radio Times and Gardens Illustrated to form Intermediate Media
- Bridgepoint on its funding of a MBO of SPP Process Technology Systems from Sumitomo Precision Products
- the management of the RAC group on its sale for £1 billion by Aviva to a company backed by The Carlyle Group, and in which the management will have a shareholding
- Carlyle in connection with its acquisition of The Foundry Visionmongers Limited from Advent Venture Partners and other shareholders
- ECI Partners on the buy out of CarTrawler, the Dublin based market leading provider of online car rental distribution systems
- Exponent Private Equity on its £140m acquisition of Pattonair from Umeco
- TA Associates on its EUR €180m exit from investee company, ION Trading, an investment which it had held since 2004, on which we also advised
- Silverfleet on its acquisition of Aesica Pharmaceuticals Limited
- Lyceum Capital Partners, on its £60m management buyout of the leading high street food retailer, EAT
- Amphora Acquisitions Limited (a newco backed by Darwin Private Equity and management) on the £50 million secondary management buyout of Attenda Limited
- Bridgepoint on the secondary buy-out of Symington´s Ltd
- Chorion Limited on a number of disposals as part of a debt restructuring
- Exponent Private Equity on the sale of Lowell Holdings Limited
- NSL Services on the sale to AAC Capital Partners for an enterprise value of £120
- management on the £1bn public to private takeover of EMap