The global energy market is continually changing in response to demand for affordable energy and, particularly in the UK, significant capital expenditure is needed to replace the nation's ageing infrastructure and to fund the development of newer, more efficient energy generation and consumption technologies.
Our Energy Group advises a number of participants in the sector including owners of conventional power assets and energy network infrastructure, and metering providers as well as sponsors of commercial solar, wind and biomass projects and emissions trading businesses. It also regularly advises banks, investment funds and other financial institutions.
Selected highlights of our experience include advising:
- Bridgepoint Development Capital, a major international private equity group, and other shareholders, on the sale of The Energy Solutions Group to SSE plc for £72 million
- Estover Energy in connection with the equity investment by John Laing and UK Green Investment Bank in a new biomass Combined Heat and Power plant in Speyside, Scotland which has been developed by Estover
- BlueBay Asset Management on the disposal of a stake in Eggborough power station
- 3i Infrastructure on its participation, alongside GS Infrastructure Partners, in the 1.54 billion acquisition of Vattenfall AB's Finnish electricity, distribution and heat businesses
- an institutional investor on its significant investment in Europe's largest Combined Heat and Power (CHP) Plant and in relation to changes to the UK's regulatory regimes and electricity markets
- ABB on the environmental and regulatory aspects of the delivery of the Britned international power interconnector (UK to Netherlands)
- Numis Securities in connection with the £130 million official list IPO of the Bluefield Solar Income Fund
- the Peel Group in connection with joint venture arrangements relating to a major on-shore wind farm
- Areva T&D UK on its 950 million acquisition of the electrical transmission and distribution business of Alstom S.A.
- Bosch Solar on a purchase and development of a significant UK solar park including detailed regulatory and environmental advice
- Brookfield Utilities on a series of infrastructure joint ventures in relation to gas, electricity, fibre and heating distribution to residential and commercial premises
- New British Palm Oil in connection with its £362 million official list IPO
- Challenger Infrastructure Fund on its disposal of its stake in the Inexus Group, a leading utility connection and infrastructure provider, to Brookfield Asset Management