Whilst the developed nations are endeavouring to find opportunities to rely on renewable energy sources, the demand for natural resources in developing nations remains high.
In addition, rising resource prices have led to the proliferation of previously uneconomic forms of extraction, such as hydraulic fracturing of gas shale deposits, which has instigated a raft of regulatory changes across the globe. Our Natural Resources Group is one of only a very few legal teams with genuine experience and expertise in UK onshore unconventional oil and gas.
Selected highlights of our experience include advising:
- Paragon Offshore plc and Noble Corporation plc on the creation of Paragon and its demerger from Noble Group
- Silverfleet Capital on the acquisition of AGR Holdings AS, the petroleum services division of Oslo-listed AGR Group ASA for NOK 1,640 million
- London Mining plc on the US$810 million sale of its Brazilian operations to ArcelorMittal
- Pathfinder Minerals plc in connection with the disputed ownership of its mining licences in Mozambique and of the shares in its local Mozambique subsidiary
- Vedanta Resources plc on its US$981 million acquisition of a 51 per cent. stake in Sesa Goa Limited from Mitsui & Co. Ltd.
- GDF SUEZ E&P UK Ltd on regulatory, environmental, planning and real estate legal matters associated with its recent entry into UK onshore shale gas
- Burren Energy plc on the £1.7 billion recommended offer by Eni UK Holdings plc
- the management team of Expro International Group plc on the £2.8 billion public-to-private transaction by a consortium of investors led by Candover Partners
- Etablissements Maurel et Prom S.A. in connection with the US$748 million disposal of Hocol to Ecopetrol S.A.
- Energy XXI Acquisition Corporation on its US$300 million IPO
- San Leon Energy plc on its £62 million merger with Aurelian Oil & Gas plc
- Liberty Metals and Mining on environmental and regulatory issues arising on its significant investment into a new UK deep copper mine and associated project implementation issues
- Rosneft in relation to proceedings brought by Yukos Capital in the Commercial Court in England to enforce various Russian arbitral awards that were subsequently annulled by the Russian Courts