We have wide-ranging experience across the media sector client base comprising broadcasters, content providers, technology companies, publishers, theatres and studios, as well as private equity and other investors in the sector.
Our market-leading commercial, IT, IP, corporate and regulatory practices enable us to provide media clients with an integrated cross practice team, providing focussed and commercial advice.
We regularly advise media clients and investors on cross-border transactions, reflecting the global reach of today's media platforms and partnerships.
We take a proactive approach to advising media clients, identifying and anticipating legal and contractual opportunities and issues for their businesses.
Examples of our work in this sector include advising:
- Channel 4 on its DTT multiplex agreements with the BBC for the successful launch of the Channel 4 HD service on Freeview
- YouView on its contractual arrangements in advance of the launch of its linear and on demand TV platform
- talkSPORT in relation to its global licensing partnerships and joint ventures following its securing of Premier League and FA Cup audio broadcast rights
- Vubiquity on its purchase of On Demand Group and subsequent content and licensing deals for Vubiquity
- Chorion, owners of the IP rights to the Agatha Christie novels and Mr Men books, on a major reorganisation and subsequent disposal of its IP portfolio
- Lyceum Capital on its purchase of IP rights management company, Compact Media Group
- Shazam on its advertising partnership with ITV, on the monetisation of its customer database and on data protection/direct marketing compliance
- Red Bee Media (formerly BBC Broadcast) on the provision of playout, access and creative services to the BBC and other broadcasters
- Exponent on its acquisition of BBC Magazines from BBC Worldwide and related long term agreements and Immediate Media on a series of publishing deals
- TSL Education (publishers of the Times Educational Supplement) on its UK and overseas joint ventures and its sale to TPG Capital
- Exponent on its sale of a majority stake in Ambassador Theatre Group to Providence Capital as well as advising Ambassador Theatre Group on its ticketing and production arrangements
- Pinewood Studios on its joint venture agreements with Seven Stars Entertainment in China and with Rivers Rock (an investment entity for the Cathy family) for a new Pinewood-branded film studio near Atlanta, Georgia