Mark qualified and practised as a barrister before becoming a partner in our Financial Services and Markets Department in 1998. He is Head of our Financial Products and Payments Group. He advises on a broad range of financial markets issues including securities trading, clearing, settlement, payments, derivatives, custody, insolvency, banking and financial product development.
His recent work includes:
- advising the Lehman administrators on settlement, clearing and other financial markets issues
- advising UK and other European cash and derivatives markets on the introduction of central counterparty, competitive clearing and netting services
- assisting on the legislative proposals for the dematerialisation of the Hong Kong securities markets
- devising the legal and regulatory model for the dematerialisation of the UK's money markets (for which his team won 'Corporate Team of the Year' in the Lawyer Awards)
- advising central securities depositories and other market participants on the implications of the new CSD Regulation
- advising on the financial market implications of the implementation of EMIR and MIFIR
Mark led the team that advised on the legal, regulatory and legislative framework underpinning the provision of real-time DvP euro payment facilities for the UK and Irish securities markets. The team's work on this project was "highly commended for innovation" in the Financial Times Innovative Lawyers Awards.
Mark is recognised as a leading individual in his field by Chambers UK, the IFLR 1000 and the Legal 500. He is co-chair of the Financial Markets Law Committee's Infrastructure Working Group and, as a member of the Financial Law Committee of the City of London Law Society, chairs its intermediated securities sub-committee. He is also an active member of various expert working groups appointed by the FMLC and HM Treasury to advise on a diverse range of financial markets issues, including the regulation of CSDs, market disruption, conflict of laws and financial collateral.
Mark is included in the Legal 500 Hall of Fame, which "highlights individuals who have received constant praise from their clients for their continued excellence".