Andy is a partner in our Pensions team.
Andy has expertise across all areas of UK pensions law, helping businesses and trustees find effective ways to navigate this complex area. His regular work includes major pensions projects such as scheme reorganisations, liability management, benefit changes, difficult funding settlements and section 75 debt risk. Andy is known for his practical approach and has been described as an "excellent, pragmatic adviser" and "highly personable".
M&A and transactions
Andy also regularly advises on the pensions aspects of M&A and other corporate activity. He has a particular specialism in major cross-border deals and operational carve-outs, working as part of a seamless legal team on the HR workstreams in some of our highest-profile deals. Clients have complemented his ability to provide simple, clear advice on difficult issues.
Diversity, Inclusion, and pro bono work
Andy is a member of the firm's LGBT+ network group and provides pro bono legal advice to the well-known LGBT+ charity, Just Like Us. He also volunteers at the City Law School public legal advice clinic and has provided pro bono legal advice on individual personal pension complaints.
Andy sits on the Communications Committee of the Association of Pension Lawyers and is one of the editors of the Association's member newsletter.
- Adviser to the Associated British Foods Pension Scheme on all scheme matters including new investments and currency hedging arrangements, flexible apportionment arrangements, automatic enrolment and day-to-day administration and governance.
- Acting for a major consulting firm's DC pension scheme trustee on a significant change to investment options and transition to a master trust.
- Advising employers in a variety of sectors on the closure or amendment of defined benefit pension schemes by contractual agreement with employees.
- Acting for a scheme in the automotive sector on a complex three-way pension scheme reorganisation and merger.
- Advising Micro Focus International PLC on its US$8.8 billion acquisition of the software business of Hewlett-Packard Enterprise.
- Advising Micro Focus International PLC on its US$ 2.5 billion sale of its SUSE business.
- Acting for Ancala Partners LLP on its acquisition of Portsmouth Water.
- Advising on a number of reorganisations of death-in-service arrangements into 'excepted group life' schemes.