Barry trained at Travers Smith and in 2016 became a partner in the Finance Group. Barry has a broad practice and client base, focusing on domestic and cross-border leveraged finance and infrastructure investments. He has extensive experience advising private equity sponsors, corporate borrowers, infrastructure investors, banks and alternative credit providers on leveraged acquisitions, infrastructure investments and general corporate facilities.
Recent experience includes advising:
- Bridgepoint Advisers on their acquisitions of Cambridge Education Group, ASK/Zizzi, Bike24, Nordic Cinemas, Estera, Evander Glazing & Locks and the Energy Solutions Group
- Pret A Manger on their c.£570m senior secured facilities
- 3i on their acquisitions of Marken and Chorion
- Exponent Private Equity on their acquisition of BBC magazines
- ATPI (an investee of Intermediate Capital Group plc) on its acquisition of Griffin Global
- Silverfleet Capital Partners on their acquisitions of OFFICE, Aesica Pharmaceuticals, Cimbria, IPES and AGR
- Macquarie on its financing of the acquisition of Regard care homes group
- Arjun Infrastructure Partners on its acquisitions of solar farm portfolios from Hazel Capital and Anesco
- Ancala Partners on its acquisition of an interest in the Scottish Area Gas Evacuation system and in the Beryl pipeline
- Ancala Partners on its acquisition of Portsmouth Water
- Balfour Beatty Infrastructure Partners LLP on their acquisition of Wightlink Ferries
- Peel Holdings in connection with an investment by Vancouver Airport Services in Peel Airports
- Zoopla on the financing of its acquisitions of uSwitch and The Property Software Group
- OVO Energy on their acquisition of CORGI Homeplan
- Polypipe Group plc on its IPO
- the Akzo Nobel (CPS) Pension Scheme on a £1.4bn longevity swap with ReAssure (a Swiss Re affiliate)
- CLS Holdings plc on its institutional private placement of £80m senior secured notes
- Various other corporate borrowers on amends and extends, financial covenant resets, refinancings and debt buy-backs
Barry has completed secondments at both RBS and Babson Capital Europe and also worked in New York in the finance department of a US law firm.
Barry is a key member of Travers Smith's sponsor-facing team ranked in Band 3 (Banking and Finance: Sponsors) by Chambers 2018 and Legal500 lists him as a recommended partner for private equity financings.