Donald is a partner in the Finance department and specialises in transaction financing and restructuring with a particular focus on acting for private equity houses and financial sponsors on cross-border and domestic leveraged finance acquisitions and investments. He also advises investee companies and major corporate borrowers on their debt facilities.
Representative examples of his experience include advising:
- 3i on the senior debt facilities supporting the acquisition of Aspen Pumps
- Benchmark Holdings plc on its reverse takeover of INVE Aquaculture Holding B.V.
- Bridgepoint and management on the £835m sale of Oasis Dental Healthcare to BUPA
- Bridgepoint Development Capital on the acquisition of the construction claims group of Hill International
- Exponent Private Equity on its senior debt facilities supporting the acquisition of the Racing Post
- Canaccord Genuity on the senior facilities supporting its acquisition of Hargreave Hale
- Cath Kidston and TA Associates on the financing aspects of the sale of Cath Kidston to Baring Private Equity
- Charterhouse Capital Partners and ERM on the $900m multicurrency first and second lien covenant-lite refinancing of the ERM senior facilities
- ECI Partners and IT Lab on the senior refinancing of the acquisition of IT Lab
- Graphite Capital on their acquisition of Random 42
- Immediate Media on its post-sale refinancing
- Lyceum Capital on the senior facilities supporting their acquisition of Briefing Media
- Marlin Equity Partners on the senior debt facilities supporting the acquisitions of Qualitest and Medius AB
- Oak Hill Capital Partners and Pulsant on the bolt-on acquisition of the Onyx Group
- TA Associates on the acquisition of Old Mutual Wealth's Single Strategy asset management business
- Vitruvian Partners on their acquisitions of CallCredit, Healthcare at Home and Inenco Holdings
Donald has also spent extended time on secondment with RBS advising its Global Banking and Markets division on various matters, including the disposal by RBS of its portfolio of European private equity fund interests.
Recent publications include "Calling the shots: the evolution of PE funding", a detailed report on the debt market produced in conjunction with Debtwire and an article for Private Equity News focusing on Finance related considerations for sponsors when acquiring a business with a buy-and-build strategy.
Donald is a key member of the sponsor facing team at Travers Smith which was ranked in Band 3 (Banking and Finance: Sponsors) by Chambers UK, 2017.