Doug is a partner in the Corporate Department and heads our Operational Risk Group, which specialises in UK, EU and international Environment, Regulatory and Product & Trade law.
Doug's transactional, advisory and contentious practice focuses on a range of compliance and risk management issues, including:
- Environment, health and safety liabilities
- Chemical and hazardous substances law
- Permitting and operational compliance
- Product safety, liability and recalls
- Trade controls and sanctions
- Anti-bribery and corruption
- Business ethics, human rights and corporate transparency
- Climate change and energy efficiency
Doug has particular expertise in the energy, natural resources, healthcare and chemical sectors and is the current chair of our cross-departmental Healthcare & Pharmaceuticals Sector Group.
Recent work includes advising:
- GDF Suez on regulatory, licencing and environmental issues on its entry into the UK's onshore unconventional (shale) gas market and subsequent project development support
- Nike, Inc. on UK and EU chemical law, product stewardship and brand management
- Major pharmaceutical supplier on compliance with UK and EU pharmaceutical controls and a potential regulatory notification and product recall
- Bridgepoint on regulatory aspects of its purchase of Quotient Clinical, a clinical testing and development business
- Bosch Solar Energy on a large solar park in Trefullock, England and a number of other solar projects
- Private equity houses such as Bridgepoint and The Carlyle Group on the application of the UK's CRC Energy Efficiency Scheme
- Palletway (UK) Limited on defending a serious health and safety at work prosecution in the Crown Court
- Trafigura Limited and Trafigura Beheer B.V. on their defence of the high profile personal injury claim involving c.30,000 claimants from the Ivory Coast. This long running dispute was one of the largest pieces of environmental litigation ever brought before a UK court
- Mitsubishi Rayon Co., Ltd, alongside Paul Weiss, on environmental and regulatory issues with its £1.6bn acquisition of the Lucite International chemicals business
- Aviva Investors on environment, social and governance (ESG) and related ethical investment issues
The directories list Doug as one of the UK's leading environment and regulatory lawyers and note that he is "lauded for his intellectual strength, clear drive and passion" as well as being ''commercial'' with a "deep understanding of his field".
In addition to being the General Editor of Commercial Environmental Law & Liability (Sweet & Maxwell), Doug has also lectured on Brighton University's Environmental Policy and Law MSc course and is an active member of the UK Environmental Law Association and City of London Law Society's Environment Committee.