Edward is a partner in our Finance Group. He joined Travers Smith in March 2016, having been a partner at K&L Gates for 10 years. He specialises in restructuring and insolvency.
Edward’s practice areas include:
- distressed investments and investing
- refinancings and work-outs
- directors’ duties and boardroom risks
- formal insolvency appointments and the enforcement of security
- cross-border matters
His typical clients are:
- private equity sponsors
- corporates and their boards
- financial institutions
- turnaround professionals and officeholders
Examples of Edward’s work include acting for:
- Alteri Investors on the acquisition of equity and debt in clothing retailers Austin Reed, Country Casuals and Viyella, and their subsequent administrations.
- The British Steel Pension Scheme, advising on covenants and security provided by Tata Steel
- The collateral manager of a synthetic CDS structure in relation to a complex settlement with noteholders
- The Cayman joint receivers of the Axiom Legal Financing Fund, seeking recovery of £100m
- FRP Advisory, as fixed charge receivers and administrators of a portfolio of 38 government-tenanted properties, sold for c£120m
- The YGM Group in relation to its acquisition of the clothing retailer Aquascutum out of administration
- The board of the Farepak/European Home Retail group, successfully defending proceedings brought under the Company Directors Disqualification Act 1986
The Legal 500 2017 recommends Edward as “commercial and responsive”, and IFLR100 2018 describe him as “Excellent. Ed is a very calm but firm restructuring lawyer. He is able to quickly and concisely articulate the key issues at hand which enables any negotiation to be targeted at the high value points.”
Edward is an active member of R3 and INSOL.