Elena trained at Travers Smith and is a partner in the tax group. She specialises in the taxation of asset managers and investment funds and has particular expertise in the structuring and formation of private and listed alternative investment funds with a focus on private equity, venture, debt, infrastructure and real estate funds. Elena also specialises in advising fund managers on their own internal house tax issues including restructurings and incentive arrangements and tax authority disputes as well as advising institutional investors on the tax risks associated with investing in particular fund structures.
Elena is a member of the Alternative Investment Management Association’s working groups on BEPS and partnerships and a member of the Income Tax Sub-Committee of the Law Society. She regularly speaks at conferences and is the author of Tolley's chapter on Partnerships and has been published by the British Tax Review.
Elena’s recent work includes:
- Establishing a number of private equity funds and working with these clients to understand what structures would work best for them and their investors
- Establishing a new fund for the credit division of a global fund manager
- Advising the Pensions Infrastructure Platform on the structure and formation of the PiP Multi-Strategy Infrastructure Fund
- Acting for SV Life Sciences on the structure and formation of the Dementia Discovery Fund
- Advising a real estate fund manager on the structure of its new residential fund and its investments within the student accommodation space
- Providing ongoing advice to a number of clients on the recent changes to partnership taxation (including salaried members, mixed members, disguised investment management fee planning and carried interest)
- Restructuring asset manager groups and investment funds as a result of recent changes to the US tax rules
- Advising asset managers in relation to tax enquiries raised by HMRC