Emily trained at Travers Smith and is a partner in the tax group. She specialises in the taxation of asset managers and investment funds, acting for private equity houses, debt funds, infrastructure, venture and real estate funds.
Emily advises on all aspects of fund formation. She works with clients to decide on the optimum structure for their fund, the right jurisdiction and efficient remuneration arrangements. She has particular expertise in partnership taxation, VAT on fund management fees and carried interest.
She also advises a number of asset managers on the tax issues which affect their own businesses helping them navigate the constantly changing tax landscape. Emily also advises a number of institutional investors – pension funds, funds of funds and family offices – as they invest into alternative asset classes.
Emily’s recent work highlights include:
- Structuring a pan-European private equity real estate (PERE) fund;
- Establishing a new fund for the credit division of a global fund manager;
- Advising a number of fund managers on the potential impact of the disguised investment management fee rules;
- Spinning out a life sciences business from an asset manager to create a new life-science focussed fund manager;
- Establishing a number of private equity funds and working with these clients to understand what structures would work best for them and their investors;
- Advising on the robustness and durability of fund structuring as the OECD’s base erosion and profit shifting project is implemented.
Emily is a member of the British Property Federation’s Tax Committee, a member of Invest Europe’s International Tax and Tax Reporting Committee and is the author of the LexisPSL guide to investment funds.