Ian is a partner in the corporate department at Travers Smith specialising in UK and international private equity including acting for institutional investors, management and investee companies, as well as transactional and advisory work for corporate clients. Ian trained at Travers Smith and became a partner in 2007.
Ian is recognised by Chambers UK, 2014 in the field of private equity and is described as "able to mix clear legal advice with common sense" and "understands problems and offers solutions".
Recent experience includes advising:
- The Carlyle Group on the sale of The Foundry for £200 million, in a secondary buy-out backed by Hg Capital
- Exponent and other shareholders on the sale of Trainline to Kohlberg Kravis Roberts (KKR)
- Bridgepoint on the acquisition of ASK Italian and Zizzi restaurants from Gondola/private equity house Cinven and the subsequent acquisition of Coco di Mama
- CBPE Capital LLP acquires majority stake in Xceptor from SVG Capital
- The Carlyle Group and Management on the sale of ITRS to TA Associates
- Exponent Private Equity and other selling shareholders on the sale of Immediate Media Co
- Sale of the entire issued share capital of Car Shops Limited to Sytner Group Limited
- Exponent Private Equity on the acquisition of The Racing Post
- Carlyle Europe Technology Partners III fund on the secondary buyout of TestPlant Limited
- Selling shareholders, including Equistone Partners, on the sale of the Mill to Technicolor for a total value of £190m