James specialises in Technology, Data Protection and Intellectual Property and is a member of the firm's Technology and Leisure sector groups.
He regularly advises on major IT implementations, IT outsourcings and software development and licensing issues. James also advises clients on privacy and confidentiality issues, including GDPR compliance. His practice also covers all areas of intellectual property rights, with a particular focus on franchising, branding and copyright issues.
Recent work has included advising:
- Micro Focus on the tech, IP and data aspects of its US$8.8 billion merger with Hewlett Packard Enterprise's software business
- Pret A Manger on a substantial cloud outsourcing
- PaymentSense, Europe's largest payment service provider, on a variety of arrangements with its technology and referral partners
- The Pension Protection Fund on a significant front and back office outsourcing
- Various organisations in the financial services, pensions, retail, leisure and technology sectors on GDPR compliance
- Euroclear on the data protection issues of a new US$ settlement scheme
- A Bridgepoint investee company on the acquisition of the master franchise rights to the Burger Brand in the UK and the associated acquisition of over 70 Burger King restaurants
- Aptar on a business critical patent licensing and manufacturing arrangement
- Micro Focus on a complex internal reorganisation of its EMEA IP
James is recommended in Legal 500, where he is described as "excellent". He is also a member of the Society for Computers and Law.