James is a partner in the corporate department at Travers Smith specialising in domestic and international private equity transactions (acting for both institutional clients and management teams) and M&A.
James became a partner in 2011, having joined the firm as a trainee in 2000 and spent a year on secondment at Barclays Private Equity. James formed the portfolio group within the private equity practice and has a wealth of experience in advising private equity-backed corporates throughout their lifecycle.
James is a regular speaker at BVCA and BPP training courses.
Selected deals on which he has worked include the following:
- 3i Group plc on their investment in Aspen Pumps
- Darwin Private Equity on their investment in Attenda
- Phoenix Equity Partners on the acquisitions of Gall Thomson, LK Bennett, Porthaven Care Homes, ERA Technology and Karmarama
- Civica on numerous bolt-on acquisitions
- Barclays Private Equity on the acquisitions of Bounty, Hydrasun and Kurt Geiger
- Equistone Partners Europe on their simultaneous acquisition of Easynet and MDNX
- Exponent Private Equity on the management buy-out of Ambassador Theatre Group and the acquisition of Pattonair
- Phoenix Equity Partners on their investment in The Travel Chapter Group
- Equistone and all selling shareholders on the sale of Easynet to Interoute Communications
- Sale of Mouchel to Keir
- Barclays Private Equity and all selling shareholders on the sale of Kurt Geiger to Graphite
- Livingbridge and all selling shareholders on the sale of Frank Recruitment Group to TPG Growth
- Intermediate Capital Group and all selling shareholders on the sale of Gaucho Restaurant Group to Equistone Partners Europe
- Silverfleet Capital on the sale of Office Retail Group to Truworths International
- Equistone Partners and all selling shareholders on the sale of Audley Travel to 3i
- Exponent Private Equity and all selling shareholders on the sale of Lowell Financial
- Management on the buyout and merger of the Lowell Group
- Management team of Brit Insurance on the successful take private by CVC and Apollo
- Management on the sale of Wagamama to Duke Street Capital and their subsequent re-investment
- Management of Quorn on the successful MBO from Premier Foods