Jan-Jaap is a partner in our Dispute Resolution Department. He has a broad dispute resolution practice, generally involving high value and complex claims, often with an international dimension.
He has particular experience of acting in disputes in the financial services sector and in contractual, M&A and shareholder disputes. Jan-Jaap has experience of regulatory and internal investigations, has a strong focus on international arbitration and is a member of the firm's pensions dispute resolution group.
His recent experience includes acting for:
- defendants in Commercial Court proceedings in a dispute concerning shares in a Luxembourg company
- the Joint Administrators of Lehman Brothers International (Europe) in a dispute with certain investment bank counterparties
- the Joint Liquidators of an insolvent entity in disputes with counterparties concerning equity warrants
- Sebastian Holdings Inc. in its multi-billion dollar claim in the Commercial Court against Deutsche Bank arising from a series of exotic derivatives transactions
- various clients on contentious matters, including shareholders’ and joint venture disputes, derivatives and structured products disputes, warranty claims, general commercial disputes and bribery and fraud issues
- various pension scheme trustees on contentious issues concerning their schemes
Jan-Jaap is recommended in The Legal 500 for his work in banking litigation and commercial litigation and is described in the 2014 edition as "incredibly dedicated, clever and able". He is a Member of the Litigation Committee of the City of London Law Society and a Member of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators.