Richard trained at Travers Smith and became partner in the firm's Commercial, IP and Technology Department in 2006. He specialises in advising major corporates on key contractual, joint venture and outsourcing arrangements and his clients include household names in the infrastructure, media, retail, and outsourcing sectors. He also advises on the carve-out elements of M&A transactions.
Richard sits on the firm’s Partnership Board, leads its Media Sector Group and also founded its Anti-Bribery Group, advising businesses across the world on the impact of the UK Bribery Act.
Examples of Richard's recent work have included advising the following:
- BUUK Infrastructure (part of the Brookfield Group) on its residential and commercial multi-utility infrastructure partnerships, district heating projects and smart meter rental deals
- OVO Energy on its acquisition of CORGI Home Plan and its partnership with Chargemaster
- Ancala on its acquisition of Biogen
- UTV Media on the sale of its television business to ITV and its radio business to News Corporation
- Immediate Media on its magazine publishing and licensing arrangements with BBC Worldwide and its sale to Hubert Burda Media
- Exponent on its acquisition of Racing Post
- Firstsource on outsourcings by Barclaycard, Lloyds Bank, BskyB and Eircom
- BT on a major outsourcing to Accenture
- Trainline.com on its ticket retail arrangements with Rail Delivery Group, UK train operating companies and European transport operators
- TA Associates on its carve-out acquisition of the single strategy asset management business of Old Mutual
- Bridgepoint on its carve-out acquisition of Estera, the fiduciary services business
- Ancala on its carve-out acquisition of Apache Corporation's interest in the SAGE system and Beryl pipeline in the North Sea
Richard is a key member of the firm’s commercial contracts team, which is ranked in Tier 1 for this work by Legal 500. His practice is individually highlighted in the Legal 500 and Chambers directories, where clients comment that he combines ''excellent legal and industry knowledge'' with ''the leadership skills needed to ensure that projects are completed'', and ''when something is very important and we need a good result, we pick up the phone and talk to Richard.''