Russell trained at Travers Smith and is a partner in the Tax Group. He works almost exclusively in the private equity sphere advising management teams and private equity houses on investment structures, management incentive plans and portfolio company tax issues.
Russell regularly acts for a number of institutional investors including Bridgepoint, Equistone Partners, Kings Park Capital, Phoenix Equity Partners and Lyceum Capital.
Russell is a member of the British Private Equity and Venture Capital Association (BVCA) Tax Committee and Personal Tax Sub-Committee. He is regularly invited to speak at conferences in recognition of his expertise, particularly in the private equity sphere.
Clients say that Russell Warren "is able to seamlessly blend the technically difficult and complex analysis with being highly commercial and to the point."
Chambers UK 2018
Russell´s recent transactions include advising:
- Kester Capital on its acquisition of CETA Insurance
- Management of Canopius on its sale to a Centerbridge-led consortium
- Livingbridge and selling shareholders on the sale of Frank Recruitment Group to TPG
- Equistone Partners and selling shareholders on the sale of Audley Travel to 3i Group plc
- Phoenix Equity Partners and selling shareholders on the sale of Edif Group Limited to RINA SpA
- management of British Car Auctions on its proposed Official List IPO
- management on GIC’s investment in the RAC
- on Cisco Systems Inc's US$5 billion takeovers of NDS Group Limited
- on the £3.3 billion IPO of Merlin Entertainment Plc
- on the £1.5 billion IPO of Pets at Home Plc
- on the £confidential sale of Trainline by Exponent to KKR
- Exponent Private Equity on the purchase of a portfolio of BBC Magazines including the Radio Times