Sam heads up the Private Funds Group and specialises in fund formation work for a wide range of private funds. He has 20 years' experience working on investment funds projects and he has been a partner at Travers Smith since 2008.
He also works on secondaries transactions, carried interest arrangements and co-investment schemes, advising institutional investors on their participation in funds and internal restructurings such as LLP conversions, succession planning and management spin-outs.
Sam is recognised for Investment Funds work by Chambers and Partners, IFLR1000 and Who's Who Legal for Private Funds.
His recent work includes advising:
- Medicxi on the $300 million fundraising of Medicxi Growth I LP, a new fund that focuses on growth stage companies in European life sciences
- Pensions Infrastructure Platform on the fundraising of its debut fund, PIP Multi-Strategy Infrastructure LP
- Abris Capital Partners, a private equity group focused on Central and Eastern Europe, on the €500 million fundraising of Abris CEE Mid-Market Fund III LP
- Kings Park Capital, the UK-based lower mid-market private equity team focused on the leisure sector, on the successful fundraising of its second fund, Kings Park Capital II LP
- Hermes Investments on the fundraising of Hermes GPE Infrastructure Fund I LP with commitments in excess of £1 billion
- Benson Elliot on the fundraising of Benson Elliot Real Estate Partners IV LP with commitments in excess of €625 million
- Elysian Capital on the fundraising of Elysian Capital II LP, which reached its hard cap of £250 million within five months of launch
- Medicxi, formerly Index Ventures Life Sciences, on its formation as an independent life sciences firm. The transaction was undertaken in conjunction with the raising of Medicxi Ventures I LP, a new €210 million fund focused on early stage investment in life sciences
- Institutional investors, such as Hermes GPE, Aberdeen Asset Managers and Tesco Pension Investments on their participation in a wide range of funds