Simon is a partner in our Tax Department. He specialises in corporate and management taxation, in particular focusing on the private equity sector. Simon regularly advises founders and management teams, in addition to institutional investors. He has also advised on public and private M&A, public-to-privates, demergers, IPOs and joint ventures.
Simon is a member of the Law Society's Corporation Tax sub-committee and is ranked by Chambers UK, Legal 500 and the International Who's Who of Corporate Tax Advisors. Simon was selected by the Tax Journal in its inaugural list of the leading tax professionals under 40 years old in the UK.
Recent experience includes:
- Advising The Carlyle Group on its exit from The Foundry, the global provider of award-winning creative software.
- The investment in Aspen Pumps by 3i Group plc.
- Advising TA Associates and the Cath Kidston Group on the investment in the Group by Baring Private Equity Asia.
- The secondary buy outs of ASK and Zizzi, the Italian restaurant chains, and Cambridge Education Group, a leading provider of pre-university education services, by Bridgepoint.
- The international structuring for the acquisitions of The Foundry and Graze/Nature Delivered by vehicles backed by The Carlyle Group.
- Advising Bridgepoint Development Capital on a number of transactions, including its investment in MVF, a UK technology company specialising in online customer acquisition and lead generation; and the buy and build and then exit of Pulsant, a leading UK IT infrastructure services firm, including management on their reinvestment.
- LSE listed Melrose Industries plc on the sales (1) to Ontario Teachers' Pension Plan of its Bridon wire and rope division for around $500m and (2) to KKR of its Crosby and Acco lifting divisions for in excess of $1 billion.
- A number of refinancings of private equity groups, including Pret A Manger, Fat Face and 1st Credit.