Simon became partner at Travers Smith in 2007 and Head of Tax in 2017.
Simon specialises in corporate and individual taxation, regularly advising listed companies, institutional investors, founders and management teams. His practice includes public and private M&A, restructurings and reorganisations, domestic and international tax advisory projects, disputes, public-to-privates, demergers, IPOs and joint ventures.
Simon is a member of the Law Society's Corporation Tax sub-committee and is ranked by Chambers UK, Legal 500 and the International Who's Who of Corporate Tax Advisors.
Selected recent experience includes advising:
- Bridgepoint on the sale of Pret A Manger, the leading ready-to-eat food retailer, to JAB for an undisclosed price
- Caledonia Investments plc on its agreement to acquire a minority stake in Stonehage Fleming & Partners Limited, one of the world’s leading independently owned family offices
- Element Materials Technology Group on its takeover of listed group Exova Group plc by way of court sanctioned scheme of arrangement, for around £620m
- 3i Infrastructure plc on its disposal of its stake in regulated utility the Anglian Water Group for approximately £395m
- The Carlyle Group on its sale of graze, a leading UK healthy snacking brand, to Unilever Plc for an undisclosed price
- LSE listed Melrose Industries plc on its sale of its Elster Water division to Honeywell International Inc for around £3.3bn and its return of capital to shareholders of £2.3bn
- Bridgepoint on its acquisition of the master franchise of Burger King in the UK and the simultaneous acquisition of the UK's largest franchisee
- A number of refinancings of private equity groups, including Pret A Manger, Fat Face and 1st Credit
- A number of public, regulated or privately-owned businesses on the new criminal offence of the Failure to Prevent the Facilitation of Tax Evasion, including presenting to Boards of Directors, assessing business risk and introducing procedures to manage exposure
"Simon Skinner is widely respected by the market, and clients value him as “a true subject matter expert.” He maintains a solid reputation in the private equity sphere as well as for his cross-border knowledge of tax structuring."
Chambers and Partners, 2017