Simon joined Travers Smith in 2005 and became a partner in 2007. He specialises in corporate, finance and property taxation and advises companies and institutions on a wide variety of matters.
Simon's recent transactions include:
- the £190m IPO of Metric Property Investments PLC, a newly formed Real Estate Investment Trust and later its merger with London & Stamford Property PLC
- advising Noble Corporation plc on its redomiciliation to the UK and subsequent $1billion demerger of Paragon Offshore PLC
- the acquisition of Hamleys by Groupe Ludendo
- Micro Focus International PLC: merger with the Attachmate Group and associated return of capital to shareholders
- the setting up of Metro Bank, including both structuring issues and advising on the tax treatment of retail products
- advising Arria NLG on various matters from its foundation through to IPO and beyond
Simon is a member of the City of London Law Society's Revenue Law Committee and a vice-chair of the International Bar Association Tax Committee, for whom he has led their response to the OECD's proposals on base erosion and profit shifting. He has contributed chapters to Tolley's Tax Planning and the PLC tax guide and is regularly published in the tax press. Simon is individually recommended in Chambers UK.