Spencer trained at Travers Smith and became a partner in 1997. He became Head of Corporate in 2013 having been Head of Corporate Finance since 2003. Spencer has a broad corporate practice but his principal area of work is UK and international corporate finance, including mergers, acquisitions and disposals, flotation’s and underwritings, corporate joint ventures and general corporate advice.
His clients include a number of large quoted and private companies, based in the UK and overseas, as well as several financial intermediaries.
Recent work has included advising:
- Breedon Group plc on the acquisition of Lagan Group (Holdings) Limited for a consideration of £455 million
- Raindance Acquisitions Topco Limited, the holding company of the Green Highland hydro group (a project developer, owner and operator of hydropower sites), on the sale of their shares and loan notes to the SIMEC group
- Basalt Infrastructure Partners LP on its disposal of its interest in Alkane Energy to Infinis Energy Management Limited, the leading generator of landfill gas in the UK
- Ancala Partners LLP on their acquisition of South Downs Capital Limited, parent company of Portsmouth Water Limited, from South Downs Trustees Limited as trustee of the South Downs Employee Benefit Trust
- Dovetail Group Limited on the sale of the entire issued share capital to Fiserv, Inc
- Ancala Midstream Acquisitions Limited, which has entered into an agreement with Apache Beryl I Limited to acquire Apache’s 30.28 per cent interest in the Scottish Area Gas Evacuation system
- UK Mail Group plc in relation to the recommended cash offer made by Deutsche Post AG to acquire the entire issued and to be issued ordinary share capital of UK Mail
- Micro Focus on its proposed $US 8.8bn merger with Hewlett Packard Enterprise's software business segment –Tech Deal of the Year, UK Tech awards 2016
- Perseus Mining Limited in relation to its public takeover of Amara Mining PLC
- Zegona Communications on the €640 million acquisition of Telecable de Asturias S.A. from The Carlyle Group
- Pace on US$2.1bn merger with Arris
- Balfour Beatty Infrastructure Partners on its acquisition of Wightlink
- Balfour Beatty Infrastructure Partners on its public takeover offer for Alkane Energy
- Micro Focus on its $2bn merger with the Attachmate Group
- Pets at Home and Trainline on their “dual track” IPO/sale
- BLME's $500m listing on Nasdaq Dubai
- Polypipe Group plc on its £490m IPO
- India Hospitality Corp. on its sale of, and co-investment alongside H.I.G. Europe in Adelie Foods
Spencer is ranked as one of the top 30 lawyers in London for corporate finance by Chambers UK, 2015 as one of the top 30 lawyers in London for M&A by the Legal 500, 2015 and as one of the top 3000 corporate lawyers in the world by Global Counsel 3000. In addition, Spencer has been recommended for corporate and M&A work by Legal Experts, Finance in Europe, Practical Law and many more. Chambers UK, described him as "a rare beast'' and he is ''trusted implicitly'' by peers, while clients appreciate his ''top-quality legal advice''.