Stephanie is a partner in the Financial Services and Markets Department. She specialises in advising alternative asset managers on complex domestic and cross-border regulatory matters. Her clients include some of the largest alternative investment firms globally.
Financial services expertise
Stephanie has over 15 years' experience as a trusted adviser to alternative asset managers. Her advice is built on a deep understanding of alternative investment businesses, from fund formation and structuring, through ongoing operational and compliance issues, to making investments in the regulated sector. Clients say that "we always feel as though she is on top of everything in the field and she is acutely aware of how regulatory changes may impact us".
As a team, we take great pride in influencing the development of financial regulation at a national and supranational level. Our Financial Services and Markets partners all work closely with industry associations to develop practical policy responses to UK and EU legislative developments. This makes us exceptionally well placed to advise clients on new developments affecting their businesses.
Stephanie has been a member of the BVCA Legal & Accounting Committee for over 10 years and she also sits on the Invest Europe Legal and Regulatory Committee. Stephanie is recognised as a Thought Leader by Who's Who Legal 2019 (Private Funds: Regulatory)
Stephanie is recommended by Legal 500 for her non-contentious financial services work and is identified by Who's Who Legal as an expert in the private funds (regulatory) field.
Stephanie has worked with Impetus - The Private Equity Foundation on a pro bono basis to design and implement one of the first social impact bonds in the UK.
Recent and current work includes advising clients on:
- UK and EU regulatory aspects of major fundraisings, including structuring and marketing issues
- MiFID II implementation
- Practical implications of the AIFMD anti-asset stripping rules
- Compliance with MLD4
- Sensitive conflicts of interest issues
- Acquisitions of regulated businesses, including complex change in control filings and regulatory capital matters
- The likely impact of Brexit on asset management businesses
- 2014 - Present: Partner, Travers Smith
- 2007: Partner/Associate, Kirkland & Ellis
- 2005: Associate, SJ Berwin
- 2001: Assistant Solicitor/Trainee, Macfarlanes