Mark is a Senior Counsel in our Dispute Resolution Department and a member of the Pensions Dispute Resolution group. Mark has extensive experience in a wide range of commercial disputes, including several very substantial and long-running cases in the Commercial Court. Mark also has particular experience in pensions-related disputes. Mark is ranked for his pensions litigation work in the 2014 Chambers Guide to the UK Legal Profession where he is “noted for his involvement in a number of significant pensions cases” and described as “a very thorough and sensible litigator”.
Recent and current cases include acting for:
- Sebastian Holdings Inc. in its multi-billion dollar claim in the Commercial Court against Deutsche Bank arising from a series of exotic derivatives transactions
- Stena Line Limited in a dispute relating to an industry-wide pensions scheme, the Merchant Navy Ratings Pension Fund, as to whether the trustees can amend the scheme rules so as to permit them to seek contributions from former employers to meet the Fund's deficit
- the trustees of the ITN pension scheme in High Court proceedings in connection with the proper interpretation of rules in the scheme documentation dealing with spouses' pensions
- the trustees of a major corporate pension fund in connection with claims in the Commercial Court for breach of contract and misrepresentation against a fund manager arising from an investment of pension fund assets
- RBS in its defence of a complex £10m fraudulent misrepresentation claim asserted by an Austrian bank arising out of the collapse of Enron