Sam is a Senior Counsel in our Dispute Resolution Department and a member of our Regulatory Investigations Group. Sam is a solicitor-advocate with extensive experience acting on complex banking and financial services litigation with a particular focus on high-value, international disputes, often featuring allegations of fraud. In addition, he specialises in regulatory and corporate investigations, acting for both corporations and individuals.
Sam is currently the lead associate in the defence of Kaupthing and one of its directors against claims brought by the Tchenguiz brothers totalling an estimated £3bn. He was previously seconded to the Serious Fraud Office in a high profile role as investigative lawyer, leading witness and suspect interviews in one of the regulator’s blockbuster investigations. The Director of the SFO described Sam as a “major asset”.
Earlier in his career he was selected as one of 10 out of over 300 applicants for the role of judicial assistant in the Court of Appeal, ultimately working for the current Lord Chief Justice.
Recent and current cases include acting for:
- Kaupthing Bank and director in defence of two Commercial Court claims totalling an estimated £3bn
- Lehman Brothers in relation to major settlement negotiations valued in £100s of millions arising out of its administration in 2008
- Rosneft Oil Company in its dispute with Yukos Capital, including multi-jurisdictional freezing orders and settlement negotiations
- Serious Fraud Office as lead investigative lawyer in blockbuster investigation
- Major financial institutions and individuals in witness interviews before the SFO and FCA