We have extensive experience of fraud claims both in the domestic and international context, many of them arising from major corporate collapses associated with potentially fraudulent accounting and other irregularities.
We deal with asset tracing and recovery claims and all other aspects of fraud in the commercial and financial sector.
"Clients value this team's ability to 'always keep a strategic view in mind, and see the big picture without forgetting the details'."
Cases which we have handled recently include those where we have acted for:
- NatWest in its claim against Rabobank Nederland, one of the largest and most complex cases tried in England in 2006. NatWest had sought recovery in the Commercial Court of its costs of defending longstanding litigation in the US, but faced a counterclaim exceeding $220m for alleged fraudulent misrepresentation, statutory misrepresentation, inducement to breach of contract and breach of contractual duty to disclose material information. Following a five-month trial, judgment was given in favour of NatWest and it was awarded indemnity costs in respect of defending the counterclaim. (The decision was appealed by Rabobank, but the dispute was settled before the Court of Appeal gave judgment)
- Rosneft in its successful defence of the decision of the FSA and London Stock Exchange to admit its shares to a full listing in well-publicised judicial review proceedings brought by Yukos Oil Company
- an Italian merchant bank in connection with a multi-million pound claim against BAE Systems and others for alleged breach of trust and fraud in connection with the reverse takeover on AIM of an Italian airline
- one of the major creditors of an Antiguan bank which collapsed with losses of up to $80m in deposits, including the successful defence of tracing claims and pursuing a claim to assets worth in excess of $20m
- a subsidiary of BNP in the defence of English proceedings commenced by the liquidators of BCCI involving fraudulent trading claims amounting to some £250m
- clients of a well-known pension fund manager in proceedings relating to the mismanagement of assets