We handle a wide range of professional negligence claims, acting both for claimants and defendants on a regular basis.
Our claimant work is typically for companies or high net worth individuals and often involves losses sustained following disposals of businesses.
Many of these claims are against solicitors and the huge experience which the firm's corporate lawyers have in M&A work gives our dispute resolution lawyers a detailed and highly informed insight into how such transactions should be documented. Our defence work is largely on behalf of accountants and banks. We are on the panel of legal advisers to one of the big four accountancy firms and have defended claims on their behalf brought by substantial UK and international companies for damages in respect of audit and other accountancy work.
"Travers Smith is 'sophisticated, precise and creative - all things you like to see in a law firm'."
Recent cases include:
- representing a Greek shipping client in a professional negligence claim against a City law firm relating to advice given in the context of earlier arbitration proceedings
- acting for a leading accountancy firm in defending claims to a potential value of £5m brought by a group of companies in connection with the preparation of VAT refund claims
- bringing a claim against a firm of solicitors for professional negligence in relation to the drafting of a licence agreement
- acting for one of the big four accountancy firms in a claim for professional negligence. The claim related to tax advice provided on various off-shore financial interests in relation to high profile multi-million pound contested divorce proceedings
- a California-based US insurance company in a claim in the Commercial Court for professional negligence against its Lloyds brokers in respect of their placing of reinsurance cover