Regulations and the economic environment in which they operate never stand still, and changes in investor behaviour bring added risks. To untangle, interpret and stay ahead of the myriad of tax, regulatory and commercial issues you need advisers who are at the leading-edge of market practice.
Asset management is at the heart of our business. As market-leading specialists we help clients implement the optimal economic, regulatory and commercial strategies to allow their businesses to adapt, evolve and transform. Choosing the right path and making the right choices is imperative to the establishment and operation of your business. Our expert team, with a unique sector insight, enables you to stay on top of the market and ahead of your competitors.
Asset Management Regulation
Our Asset Management team is adept at staying ahead of market and regulatory developments. We assess and interpret their relevance to you, and advise and implement changes when needed, enabling you focus on your core business activities.
With market-leading expertise in advising asset managers, we are at the forefront in designing and implementing carried interest and co-investment structures for fund managers.
Some of the issues we advise on include:
- conversions of fund management companies into limited liability partnerships
- using limited liability partnerships as tax efficient management vehicles
- complex issues relating to the remittance basis of taxation where a fund has a geographically diverse management team, including non-domiciled individuals.
Asset Manager M&A and Investment
From public takeovers and buy-outs to divestments and demergers, we have in-depth expertise in the full range of deal structures. We are proficient in both the buy-side and sell-side, representing corporates, financial sponsors and investment professionals. The extensive experience of our lawyers also extends to spin-outs, establishing new platforms and business lines and secondaries of fund interests.
- Derivatives, structured products, and the obligations arising out of derivatives investments by funds.
- 'Direct' or 'synthetic' secondary transactions where a portfolio of fund investments is acquired by a secondary participant.
- Disciplinary and enforcement issues.
- Domestic and pan-European regulatory and compliance issues, including the impact of the regulatory regime on private equity, alternative credit, real estate, infrastructure and venture capital businesses.
- End-of-life options and connected transactions.
- Environmental, social and governance and carbon related issues applicable to funds, their managers and their investors.
- Establishing new businesses, including advising on the constitutional and governance documentation for the business (such as shareholders' agreements, limited liability partnership agreements or joint venture arrangements).
- Fund re-organisations and spin-outs.
- Investment management and global custody services.
- Leaver issues and succession planning.
- Market abuse.
- Market conduct issues.
- Regulatory capital requirements.
- Regulatory, marketing, distribution and operational issues for retail regulated funds.
- Shareholder activism.
- Structuring, establishing and promoting investment funds vehicles.
- Wholesale and retail financing development.