Despite the challenges faced by the world economy in the wake of the Covid crisis, the climate emergency remains centre stage for policy makers. The pace of change is increasing and businesses need to adapt or risk being left behind. The transition to a zero-carbon future, in particular, is creating significant challenges as well as opportunities.
Faced with a complex regulatory framework, coupled with the prospect of more aggressive regulatory enforcement, an increase in shareholder activism and scrutiny from stakeholders and NGOs, climate and environmental risks have risen to the top of the boardroom agenda. Our Environment and Climate group works with clients across all sectors in implementing strategies to mitigate these risks, demonstrate compliance and meet stakeholder expectations as well as developing and adapting to new operating models, new technologies and new markets. The team also works closely with our market-leading Investigations and Dispute Resolution teams in responding to regulatory enforcement action and managing ESG-related crises and claims.
Across the firm, we have particular expertise in:
- Climate, environment and natural resources regulation and risk management
- Climate and ESG reporting
- Sustainable finance and impact investing
- Carbon and emissions trading
- Green energy, cleantech and infrastructure
- Energy efficiency obligations
- EHS permitting and licencing
- Pollution, contamination and hazardous substances
- Toxic torts, industrial disease and nuisance cases
- Chemicals and environmental product regulation
- Waste and circular economy
- Green buildings
- Green IP issues