Travers Smith LLP is delighted to have won the Diversity & Inclusion Excellence Award at the UK Pensions Awards 2020.
The UK Pensions Awards, which are now in their 23rd year, are widely regarded as the industry's most prestigious accolades. They recognise the excellence of the advisers, providers and investment managers that offer the highest level of innovation, performance and service to occupational pension schemes and their members. The Diversity & Inclusion Excellence Award aims to reward those firms that best promote diversity and inclusion within their own workforce as well as those who have contributed to industry-wide initiatives in this area.
The award is a significant achievement and endorses the scale of Travers Smith's investment in creating a market-leading diversity and inclusion programme. The firm's Pensions practice, under the leadership of Daniel Gerring, has made a major contribution to the programme which, through the firm's D&I Board, has delivered a number of initiatives to promote diversity and inclusion in the our own business and in our wider communities. The Pensions team, in particular, has also worked alongside clients, and other industry players, to promote diversity in the wider pensions industry sector, including publishing, in partnership with the Pensions and Lifetime Savings Association, the first pensions industry guide on diversity and inclusion.
Key highlights include:
- Playing a key role in the foundation of an industry network group for LGBTQ+ professionals working in the pensions industry, and their allies. The aim is to provide networking, support and thought leadership on issues relevant to LGBTQ+ people and diversity and inclusion in pensions.
- Launching a BAME allyship initiative, and accompanying materials, to help accelerate BAME inclusion at the firm, and the wider business community. The written materials were produced in-house in consultation with experts on BAME inclusion, and members of the BAME community - including athletes, human rights advocates and artists.
- Launching the Travers Smith lgbtQ@cam Doctoral Bursary. In so doing, Travers Smith became the first major corporate partner in the wider lgbtq@cam initiative, which aims to make Cambridge a place where every student and staff member can thrive, irrespective of their sexuality or gender identity and build a world-leading LGBTQ research programme conducting robust research which can deepen understanding, strengthen institutions and break down barriers.
- Providing ongoing support to LGBT+ charity, Just Like Us and continuing, jointly with JLU, to run our successful LGBT mentoring scheme, which aims to give LGBT+ graduates the skills, confidence and support as they transition from university life to full-time employment.
- Embedding policies and benefits which better reflect and support a diverse workforce and an inclusive environment.
Partner and Head of Pensions Daniel Gerring commented: "I am extremely proud of our team for winning this award, which recognises our ongoing commitment to diversity and inclusion within Travers Smith and the wider Pensions Industry. This focus on D&I is integral to how we serve our clients, develop our people and play a leadership role in our communities. For the pensions industry I am convinced that more diversity and improved inclusion is critical to ensuring better member outcomes. There is still a lot of work to be done, but I am pleased to see both people within the firm and the wider industry engaging with our diversity and inclusion programme and working to make a real change in society".
The Travers Smith team also won the inaugural Diversity & Inclusion Excellence Award back in 2018 and were highly commended at the 2019 awards.