Year in Review
The last few months have been extremely busy, and there have been several exciting developments at the firm. In July, Edmund Reed succeeded David Patient as Managing Partner after nearly 7 years in the role. In September, after extensive consultation with all of our people, we implemented a new agile working policy which formalises the flexible working arrangements which are now common practice following the pandemic. After 31 years in our Snow Hill offices, we signed an pre-let agreement to move to Stonecutter Court in 2025, a brand new development, just around the corner from our current offices.
In September, Travers Smith welcomed Ben Thompson to the firm as a partner in our Finance group.
Ben is a highly regarded finance specialist with a wealth of experience advising sponsors, banks and other institutional funders on acquisition finance, with a particular focus on infrastructure finance where he has acted for both funders and sponsors on some of the largest and most complex recent infrastructure transactions in the European market.
Back in May, we were proud to announce the promotion of seven lawyers to the partnership. The new partners and their principal areas of practice are:
Alice Childs – Dispute Resolution
Alice has a breadth of commercial litigation experience acting for a variety of both domestic and international clients, including individuals, corporates, financial institutions, banks and private equity houses.
Ed Ford – Funds
Ed advises leading private investment fund sponsors on the structuring and establishment of investment funds investing across all major alternative strategies and on the related carried interest and co-investment structuring.
Tom Hartwright – Private Equity & Financial Sponsors
Tom specialises in UK and international private equity transactions and M&A. Acting for financial sponsors, founders, management teams, and corporate clients, he advises on a range of multi-jurisdictional transactions including exits, acquisitions, minority investments, restructurings and general corporate matters.
Rachel Kitchman – Dispute Resolution
Rachel has a broad practice, advising on high-value and complex disputes for clients across a range of sectors. Rachel has experience in commercial litigation, international arbitration and sensitive internal and regulatory investigations, as well as mediation and other forms of alternative dispute resolution.
Natalie Lewis – Financial Services & Markets
Natalie is a leading member of the firm’s cross-disciplinary Fintech, Market Infrastructure and Payments (FMIP) Group. She has considerable experience of working with financial market infrastructure clients, payment & settlement institutions and other fintech clients.
Jamie Parish – Finance
Jamie is a finance lawyer specialising in real estate finance, fund finance and speciality finance. He advises on all aspects of real estate debt financing, including investment and development finance at all levels of the capital structure across a range of asset classes, with a particular expertise in real estate-backed operating businesses.
Barney Stannard – Dispute Resolution
Barney acts across a broad spectrum of complex commercial litigation. He has represented clients in relation to high profile competition damage claims, cross-border tort litigation, corporate fraud and complex financial services claims in the High Court.
Awards and recognition
It has been a busy year in the awards calendar and we are delighted that a number of teams across the firm have seen success, including a win for our Fintech, Market Infrastructure & Payments Group at the 2021 FT Innovative Lawyer Awards: Europe.
This award recognises our team's work advising long-standing client Euroclear UK & International Limited (EUI), the UK's central securities depository and operator of the CREST securities settlement system, on the successful launch of a new post-Brexit market solution for euro settlement.
The Travers Smith team advising EUI was led by Partner, Natalie Lewis, with support from Partner, Phil Bartram, Associates Matt Humphreys and Felix Bayne, as well as Senior Consultant Mark Evans. The team devised, developed and negotiated an entirely new and bespoke legal model for the solution, from the ground up, advising on the wide range of novel and complex trust, contractual, banking/insolvency and finality issues (as well as the regulatory considerations) underpinning it.
The annual FT Innovative Lawyer Awards Europe celebrate law firms, clients, in-house legal teams and legal service providers who are passionate about driving innovation in the legal sector. This year's awards were very competitive and received 493 submissions, from 111 law firms and 71 in-house legal teams. We are really proud that, based on our overall contribution to innovation in the legal sector, Travers Smith has been ranked as the 12th most innovative law firm in Europe in the FT's Innovative Lawyers Europe report.
Elsewhere in the firm, we have had a number of other award wins including:
- At the 2021 Legal Business Awards, which were held in person at the Grosvenor House Hotel in late September, David Patient was named Management Partner of the Year, while our pro bono work in representing domestic abuse clients, and our wider CSR work in tackling gender-based safety issues as well as effective male allyship, won the CSR Programme of the Year Award.
- Our Funds team won the Legal Fund Structuring Award at the 2021 The Drawdown Awards. This was quickly followed by a win at the Unquote British Private Equity Awards, where the team picked up the Law Firm of the Year: Fund Structuring Award.
- Our ongoing anti-racism and allyship work was highly commended in the Excellence in Diversity & Inclusion category at this year's Law Society Excellence Awards.
- Our Finance team was Highly Commended in the Finance Team of the Year category at the 2021 The Lawyer Awards.
- Financial Services & Markets Senior Counsel, Danny Riding, was the winner of Lexology's Client Choice Award for Private Funds in the UK.
- Partner and Head of Pensions, Daniel Gerring, won the Mentor of the Year Award at the 2021 British Legal Awards.
- Our intranet, which was redesigned and relaunched in June 2020, won the Silver Award in the Best Intranet category of the 2021 Digital Impact Awards.
- Our Pensions team has won a number of awards in recent months, including:
- Pension Lawyers of the Year and Excellence in Diversity & Inclusion at the UK Pensions Awards
- Pensions Law Firm of the Year at the FT's Pensions Expert Pension & Investment Provider Awards
- Diversity Award at the Pensions Age Awards
- Mentor of the Year (Daniel Gerring, Partner and Head of Pensions)
Professional Pensions Rising Star Awards
- Junior Lawyers Division Pro Bono Award (Lucy Clifford)
LawWorks Annual Pro Bono Awards
A dinner with associates
BD away day
Negotiation workshop -