Travers Smith LLP is delighted to announce that Dispute Resolution Associate, Lucy Clifford was the recipient of the Junior Lawyers Division Pro Bono Award at the 2021 LawWorks Annual Pro Bono Awards.
The awards recognise and celebrate achievement in legal pro bono work, undertaken by organisations and individuals, and the commitment of the legal sector in enabling access to justice. The finalists represent the breadth and range of pro bono activity undertaken by LawWorks members, pro bono clinics and many others across England and Wales.
Lucy manages Travers Smith's participation in the Pro Bono Connect scheme (PBC), which seeks to connect solicitors with barristers acting pro bono on civil matters for individuals, charities, and community groups who cannot afford legal representation. Lucy's other pro bono work includes:
- acting as the lead associate on a social housing disrepair and damage case, which arose through the PBC scheme
- being a regular volunteer for Travers Smith's Domestic Violence Advocacy Unit (DVAU)
- offering her time and advice at clinics outside of the firm structure, such as Waterloo Legal Advice Clinic
In addition to this, Lucy also:
- provides mentoring and training to aspiring solicitors from diverse backgrounds through the Aspiring Solicitors scheme
- teaches high school students about legal issues which impact their lives through the Legal Experts in Schools Scheme
- helps primary school children from disadvantaged backgrounds with their reading and writing through the Reading Partners scheme (which became the remote Writing Partners scheme during the pandemic).
Lucy Clifford commented: "I am thoroughly surprised and delighted to have won this award. I am so grateful to work for a firm that understands and promotes access to justice and supports solicitors in contributing to impactful pro bono work."
Sam Cottman, Director of Pro Bono said: "Lucy's dedication to her pro bono work, even when extremely busy with her commercial caseload, is truly admirable. It is clear to anyone that works with her that she is really passionate about using her skills as a lawyer to help others and that she cares deeply about the client and achieving the best outcome for them."
The awards are sponsored by LexisNexis and supported by the Law Society of England and Wales and by Salesforce.