On Thursday 16 June Travers Smith hosted a webinar focusing on the regulation of impact funds in the EU and the UK. As more alternative asset managers seek to raise dedicated "impact funds", regulators have responded with more regulation to increase disclosure and prevent "greenwashing".
In the EU, there is an expectation that impact funds will make "sustainable investments", as defined in EU law, and there is growing investor pressure for them to be classified as Article 9 products under the SFDR. In the UK, a specific label for impact funds is in development, which will be designed to guarantee minimum standards for funds sold using that label.
The session addressed some of the challenges in the EU and future UK regulation, especially for private funds, and explored the proposals for the establishment of minimum standards for SFDR Article 8 and 9 products.
If you would like to discuss any of the topics raised in this webinar further, please get in touch with your usual Travers Smith contact.
- Kathleen Russ - Chair - Senior Partner, Travers Smith
- Ida Levine - Board Director, Impact Investing Institute
- Aleksandra Palinska - Senior Research and Advocacy Officer, Finance Watch
- Michael Raymond - Partner, Travers Smith
- Simon Witney - Senior Consultant, Travers Smith