Travers Smith LLP is proud to be a signatory of the Mindful Business Charter, a movement of organisations collaborating together to change the way they work with each other and internally, to foster better working practices for mental health and wellbeing.
Launched 18 months ago, the Mindful Business Charter was designed to bring together banks' in-house legal counsel and their legal service providers to reach a shared agenda on mental health. Since its launch over 50 organisations have now signed up to the Charter.
Although formal signing has been deferred until October 2020, by committing to the Charter Travers Smith is joining the collective commitment to change working practices to remove the unnecessary stress that can affect employees' mental health and wellbeing, while also improving effective working and productivity.
Over the past few years, Travers Smith has introduced a number of initiatives aimed at achieving this including:
- Running regular wellbeing-focused seminars and panels throughout the year aimed at raising awareness of the different challenges we all face
- Embedding therapy and counselling services into the firm for ongoing confidential support for it's people
- Training members of its HR team to be mental health first aiders, while also training a number of people across the firm in supporting those with mental health. These people now form the firm's Mental Health First Aid Aware Group.
- Providing free Calm.com subscriptions for everyone in the firm, which offers a wealth of resources including daily mindfulness sessions, meditation classes, stretch routines and sleep stories.
- Launching an online hub focused on "Your Wellbeing", which contains diverse content on matters such as staying connected, keeping active, and support for parents and carers, and will continue to be updated following a return to the office.
- Providing free virtual yogalates, breathing for relaxation and seat-based stretch sessions for everyone at the firm in partnership with Halsa Wellbeing.
Travers Smith's HR Director, Moira Slape, commented: " Mental health and wellbeing are of paramount importance to Travers Smith, and I am proud of our firm's commitment and all the work that we have done in this area over the years. As signatories of the Mindful Business Charter, we will continue to build on our existing programme, and look forward to working in conjunction with the other organisations supporting the Charter to really shine a spotlight on the necessity of good mental health and wellbeing for all people.
As the Coronavirus pandemic continues, and some people struggle with feelings of isolation and anxiety brought about by the crisis and lockdown, it is now more important than ever that our teams feel supported and able to talk openly about their mental health and wellbeing."