We advise trustees and employers on the full range of day-to-day governance and administration matters, as well as major projects such as scheme mergers, demergers and winding up.
The demands on trustees, scheme secretaries, pension managers and other pension professionals (whether trustee or sponsor-side) are increasing, with more complex legislative requirements and greater regulatory focus across defined benefit and defined contribution pension funds. Approaches to pension fund operation may also shift with changes to a sponsor or its group, to the trustee board, to advisers or providers, or with major projects. There is a constant process of change management and just ensuring everyday compliance can be a significant challenge.
For instance, we can assist clients with:
- questions of trustees’ decision making including fiduciary duties
- questions of trustee liability and protection
- reviewing or changing trustee governance arrangements
- trustee training (including to meet knowledge and understanding requirements)
- conflicts of interest policies and management
- monitoring and managing risks
- member-nominated trustee arrangements
- amendments to rules and governing documentation
- administration and benefit queries
- defined contribution investment platforms
- defined contribution charges and governance
- individual and bulk transfers
- pension scams
- automatic enrolment
- new pension arrangements
- self-invested personal pensions (SIPPs)
- master trusts
- excepted group life trusts and policies
- guaranteed minimum pensions (GMP) issues
- issues relating to contracted-out benefits
- same-sex marriage
- member complaints
- adviser and provider appointments and management.
We participate in a wide range of pensions industry groups. See our full list of industry appointments.